booksandthings

YA Fanatic

Librarian who loves everything about books. Generally read Young Adult.

Ready Player One Book Review

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

Ugh, I have such mixed feelings about this one. It's a very popular book right now as its just made a movie deal. Though it stars a teenager it is definitely an adult book specifically for those who grew up in the 80's. As someone who was born in 1990 I didn't understand most of the references made in the book.

A separate digital world in the Oasis made for kids who want a better school life and something different than where they live. Wade fits the description perfectly. When a famous digital creator dies he creates a life long hunt to find the hidden egg worth millions of dollars. Wade forgets everything else in order to complete the mission.

This dragged, a lot. If I wasn't listening to this one I may not have finished it. It felt like the author was trying to hard to describe several things including the pop culture references (which again meant nothing to me).

I'm mixed feeling with this because I really liked how it ended and think its a very cool concept that will maybe make a better movie than book (though it'll be interesting to see if they can get rights to some of the worlds mentioned). Adults will definitely love the nostalgic feeling in this one!