booksandthings

YA Fanatic

Librarian who loves everything about books. Generally read Young Adult.

Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)

Barely Breathing - Rebecca Donovan Don't read this review unless you've read the first book of this series. Now you've been warned....

Emma barely survived her Aunt Carol's torture. We find her living at her friend Sara's house for the first chapter then she jumps right in and wants to start living with her mother who abandoned her to live with her Aunt in the first place. Naturally things are going to turn out great, right? Of course not, her mother is an alcoholic and has a different guy over every night. Its more of the same, Emma worrying about her mother and having to take care of her drunk habits and sobbing mess.

Nobody seems to worried about the fact that Emma just wants to live with her mother, especially after what happened at her Aunts and Uncles house. That part really bothered me.

But really, not a whole lot happens in this book. More of the same with the first one, Emma's in trouble, Sara doesn't know how to help and Evan isn't even around half the time.

We really get to meet one of Emma's mom's (Rachel's) boyfriend, Jonathan. He bothered me the entire book and I felt like Emma was very, very Naive to trust him.

If there was more Evan and Emma I probably would have enjoyed this book a lot more.

Though, once again, there is another cliffhanger that might have me reading the third one eventually. Very disappointed in this one.