booksandthings

YA Fanatic

Librarian who loves everything about books. Generally read Young Adult.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone Book Review

Daughter of Smoke & Bone  - Laini Taylor

Though, this isn't necessarily one of my favorite books out there, I can't give it anything below a five star rating. Laini Taylor can damn well write. Her word building, storytelling, romance, characterization and everything in between is just about perfect. She's an author who show's everything. Its one of those stories where you're left to figure out what is going on and how things get placed together. And because of that I can't help but admire Taylor.

Black hand prints show up all over the world on doorways. Scorched and bright, made by winged like creatures setting up Karou's and Akiva's story.

Karou''s a young girl in Prague, an artist, who draws creatures and monsters and can speak many languages. Many find her strange as she manages to disappear on odd occasions. She just wants to find out who or what she really is.

Meet Akiva, winged fighter, a complete stranger, finds his focus on Karou. Opposites in every way. The two must work together and defy all that surrounds them. In what becomes a Romeo and Juliette esque romance Karou might never get over what is really in their dark past.

There's fantasy, swords fights, romance, adventure and a masterpiece of writing. Taylor draws you in with her beautiful flow of words.

I will easily admit it took me nearly halfway to really figure out what was going on and how characters were connected to one another. I'm not sure if that's because I listened to it or that's the way Taylor intends it. Once we really get involved in Akiva and Karou's relationship I easily started to fall in love with the book.

Certainly going to be reading/listening to the next couple books of the series. There is quite a big cliffhanger in this one, and things were really just starting to pick up in the end!

Audio Book: Beautiful. The reader does each character perfectly, the laughter, the snarls...the acting, really. Because its in Prague there are a lot of hard names to read that I really enjoyed being able to listen to instead. Plus, the beautiful word building made this audio that much more grand.