booksandthings

YA Fanatic

Librarian who loves everything about books. Generally read Young Adult.

Cinder Book Review

Cinder - Marissa Meyer

This is one of those books that leaves me breathless, much like that of Code Name Verity, Book of Blood and Shadow, The Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and The Diviners. It's original, it's "cool," and even though its' science fiction, much like that of the million other books I read, it's different. It stands out beyond the rest of them (i.e The Hunger Games, Divergent, Delirium, Article 5, The Program), this is true science fiction. Though it has an air of Dystopian, I wouldn't classify it as one.

New Beijing's streets are filled with humans and androids. Androids generally being hated by their humans. Meanwhile the ever looming plague threatens to take over and kill those it comes in contact with. And if that wasn't enough, Lunar, species from outer space threaten war with humans every day.

Cinder is a sixteen year old mechanic. She isn't just a mechanic though, she's a cyborg, part robot, part human. Her evil step-mother blames her for her sister getting infected from the plague, only wishing that Cinder was the one who caught it. When Cinder quickly finds she's immune she starts to wonder if she's something more than just a cyborg. She wishes she could be like everyone else and attend the coronation ball to see Emperor Kai

I really loved everything about this book. I did find it easily predicted, in fact I had the ending predicted from the first couple chapters. But that did not deter me from loving the story. The writing flows smoothly and Cinder is a fantastic character, as is Kai. The Cinderella twist makes the story that much better. Can't wait to see where this story goes in the next few books.