booksandthings

YA Fanatic

Librarian who loves everything about books. Generally read Young Adult.

Shadows Book Review

Shadows - Ilsa J. Bick

By now most of my followers now I love young adult, I love series, and I love the Dystopian/apocalyptic series. I generally give positive reviews for them even if it wasn't my favorite book out there...I know there's someone out there that will love them. I just can't bring myself to do that for this sequel. I wasn't expecting much, but it was even worse than I had hoped. I hated it. The only reason I finished is because I listened to it and I just don't feel the need to drop in the middle of an audio. Now to explain my dislike for this book and why I won't bother with the third.

First of all, here's the descrpition of the book from the back cover:

"The Apocalypse does not end. The Changed will grow in numbers. The Spared may not survive.

Even before the EMPs brought down the world, Alex was on the run from the demons of her past and the monster living in her head. After the world was gone, she believed Rule could be a sanctuary for her and those she’d come to love.
But she was wrong.

Now Alex is in the fight of her life against the adults, who would use her, the survivors, who don’t trust her, and the Changed, who would eat her alive.
"

Now when you read a sequel you expect the sequel to be the same characters as the first book, especially since this is a series. Even the description makes it sound like we're continuing Alex's story from the first one (which was superbly done until three fourths of the way through when things started to fall apart).

Well, Alex is barely in it. I mean barely. Her storyline is rather pointless and unconvincing. Instead we get a book about every SINGLE character Alex, Tom, and Ellie ever met in book one. I mean every one. Its ten or so characters. Too much, too many, and too long (Ellie was mentioned maybe once, I couldn't tell you what happened to her). I was bored. I didn't care about most of them. They didn't really connect with one another, some were forgotten about halfway through.

When you write a series with a strong protagonist...stick with that protagonist. I.E. Hunger Games, Divergent, even Harry Potter. Imagine the sequels being about every character they met. Would not have worked out as well.

Audio Book: The only thing going for this one was the reader. As in the first one she did an excellent job. But unfortunately even the reader couldn't save this one.