booksandthings

YA Fanatic

Librarian who loves everything about books. Generally read Young Adult.

Isla and the Happily Ever After Book Review

Isla and the Happily Ever After - Stephanie Perkins

Anna and The French Kiss is definitely the best one of this series, which isn't very surprising. The two following, including Isla and the Happily Ever After are very cute as well but they just don't live up to Anna.

Isla, a senior attending the same boarding school in Paris as Anna has always had a crush on Josh. Even when he was dating his ex. She never expected for her dreams to come true and live a life with so much love and happiness. When one incident occurs it may just ruin it forever.

For me, Isla was disappointing. For some reason I didn't connect to Isla and Josh's relationship as much as Anna and St. Clair or even Lola and Cricket. Isla seemed annoying, childish, and somewhat whiny. Maybe I'm too old for this, finally?

There are definitely some good things about this book. For starters, Kurt, Isla's best friend who has high functioning autism. What a character to put in a teen romance novel. Way to go, Stephanie Perkins. So spot on with how Isla interacted with him and his reactions.

Josh himself is very enjoyable, a creative cartoonist growing up in a world of politics with his father re-running in an election. It's like he lives in two lives. One with Isla and one pretending to be the press's best friend.

Then there is Isla, the POV and main character. Again, I think she's my biggest issue with the book. I just didn't like her. She has some characteristics that are relate-able and fun to read. But overall, especially compared to Anna, I wanted to give her a little slap on the head most of the time.

Not to be spoilery, but my favorite part of this book was definitely seeing Anna and St. Clair's relationship again. I wish it didn't take practically the whole book to do so. Maybe Perkins just needs to write another book about them?

Perkins is definitely still one of my favorite authors and I am looking forward to more by her as the years go on.