19847 Followers
booksandthings

YA Fanatic

Librarian who loves everything about books. Generally read Young Adult.

Numbers Book Review

Numbers: Book 1 - Rachel Ward

Looking at the cover and the title I definitely expected this to be another Dystopian. But its definitely not. If anything its more of a science fiction adventure story. And a bizarre one. The plot idea is rather brilliant but I definitely thought a lot more could have been done with it.

Jem has been seeing the numbers for fifteen years, ever since her mother died. When looking at people she see's people's death. The date and year. Because of that she's always avoided making friend until Spider comes along. The two of them find themselves in London and a tragic incident happens causing them to be on the run.

It will be interesting to see where this goes in a trilogy because it really could have ended at this book. Pretty much everything felt resolved partially because there wasn't a whole lot resolve in the first place. Mostly just Jem and Spider being on the run and of course doing stupid things.

I sometimes wonder why people, especially authors, complain so much about there not being enough diversity in books. Then we have a book like Numbers which isn't being talked about at all but is exactly what they're looking for. Yeah, it confuses me. So if you're looking for a good diversity book, with characters of different races in a relationship...this is it.

Again, interested enough to see where it goes and will continue the rest of the series. It's a fast read so not too much a waste of time.