booksandthings

YA Fanatic

Librarian who loves everything about books. Generally read Young Adult.

Anatomy of a Misfit Book Review

Anatomy of a Misfit - Andrea Portes

Anatomy of a Misfit really surprised me. It's a book I picked up on a whim at the library mainly because I really liked the colors on the cover - yes, I'm known to judge a book by its cover. And it worked. I guess its the books that you read without expecting anything that you end up liking the most.

We're thrown into a world of what your typical high school looks like. Through first person POV of senior, Anika. A typical, unpopular high school student. She's quirky, funny, and a tad bit sarcastic. When the most popular boy in school asks her out on a date its something she never expects. But she can't forget about the boy on the motor cycle/rebel, Logan.

This is a quirky, and a bit of a bizarre book. But, I think that's why I liked it. Anika is very relatable to any high school student. Dealing with popularity, boy troubles, and realistic hard ships you really get a sense that this author knows how to write teenagers.

The writing style is awkward at times, Anika often stating things to, "you" I suppose the reader. There were points when I thought there was going to be a surprise with who the book was written to.

A gut wrenching ending in a quirky, coming of age novel, I look forward to more young adult books written by Andrea Portes.