booksandthings

YA Fanatic

Librarian who loves everything about books. Generally read Young Adult.

All the Rage Book Review

All the Rage - Courtney Summers

All the Rage has been big talk these last couple of months. I was expecting A LOT from it. I knew it was about a difficult subject, yet an important one. But, for me, it did not live up to its hype. Its nothing new in YA literature and there wasn't really anything special about the characters. It's not one I'll likely remember well next year.

Romy Grey has had a rough year, picked on by the popular kids in her class she's been named a liar by everyone especially Kellan Turner (the sheriff's son). But then she show sup on the side of the street with no memory of what happened and her ex-best friend missing.

For me, All the Rage mostly felt a bit all over the place - a little hard to follow and a little too much going on. It seemed a bit unrealistic. I wish the author had just focused on what happened to Romy and the aftermath instead of involving a whole new mystery. Would have felt more powerful.

I can't help but compare this to Laurie Halse Anderson's, Speak, one of the best of its genre. After all the talk I was expecting this to be just as good. I may be of the minority here, but All the Rage just didn't do it for me.