booksandthings

YA Fanatic

Librarian who loves everything about books. Generally read Young Adult.

I Will Always Write Back Book Review

I Will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed Two Lives - Martin Ganda, Caitlin Alifirenka, Liz Welch

I'm not sure if I would have read this if a co-worker hadn't recommended it. I am really glad she did because I really enjoyed this. It's different from what I normally read and has a very powerful message of friendship and how one assignment in school can really change lives.

Caitlyn and Martin first write letter's through a school assignment. But this assignment changed their lives. They quickly became pen pals and Ciatlyn soon learns how difficult life is for Martin in Zimbabwe. His life is nothing like her's as he can barely afford to eat with his family much less go to school. She loves him like a brother and wants to do anything she can to help his dream of coming to an American school come true.

I did skim read this a bit as its due back to the library for some one else to read. But that didn't really affect my opinion on this story a lot. I was able to fully grasp how generous of a family Caitlyn has (and fairly rich). It somewhat boggled my mind that someone would go to this great of lengths to help a stranger in another country. The world needs more good people like this.

Fans of the Michael Oher story will love this one. Its a really great book for middle grade to read, simple enough writing style with a deep meaningful message behind it.