booksandthings

YA Fanatic

Librarian who loves everything about books. Generally read Young Adult.

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour Book Review

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour - Morgan Matson

I have been wanting to read this for quite some time now and I'm really glad I finally did. I've been hearing very good things about it. It definitely lived up to its hype. Cute, fun, and a great summer read.

Amy's dad has just passed away, her twin brother Charlie is in rehab, and her mother is across the country in their new home in Connecticut. Amy has changed since her dad died, she's now quiet, awkward and shy. When her mother sends Roger (someone she barely knows) to her house they're forced to ride together on a road trip from California to Connecticut. Neither of them having been anywhere but California.

The two decide to take a detour and travel around the country without confronting either of their parents about it. Roger has to drive since Amy hasn't driven since the death of her father. Throughout the book are playlists, scrapbooks, maps, and pictures making it a really enjoyable read. I especially loved the receipts places throughout.

The first person did get a little much for me after a while. And I think that is why it took me so long to read it. Amy is constantly holding her emotions in, refusing to share what happened. But, there is a lot of character development and we do get to finally see exactly what happened.

Fans of contemporary young adult books will certainly enjoy Amy and Roger's Epic Detour. It's an easy read and sends you on a fantastic journey throughout the United States.