booksandthings

YA Fanatic

Librarian who loves everything about books. Generally read Young Adult.

Hyperbole and a Half Book Review

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened - Allie Brosh

I'm pleased to say I was pleasantly surprised by this lovely book. And, I get to count it towards my nonfiction goal! I have been hearing about Hyperbole and a Half for quite some time now, but really didn't know what to expect. It's actually quite funny (I find many books try to be but have a hard time succeeding). Allie Brosh is able to write/draw in ways that all types of people can relate to.

Hyperbole and a Half, told in pictures/comics/writings through first POV. We see Brosh and her relationship with her dogs, her husband, and her family. All told in funny stories...some even heartfelt (like dealing with depression). The book is very colorful (each chapter of her life having different colored pages), the pictures make you laugh, and its never boring. My favorite story is probably the sugar high and her desperate attempt to get the cake.

My one little complaint would be that I was hoping for more stories without the dogs..while I did love them and enjoyed them I think I would have enjoyed this book twice as much if we learned more about herself (maybe in the one to come).

If you're looking for a funny picture-esque story, Hyperbole and a Half is definitely a great place to look...you'll be laughing and smiling the whole way through!