booksandthings

YA Fanatic

Librarian who loves everything about books. Generally read Young Adult.

Where'd You Go Bernadette Book Review

Where'd You Go, Bernadette - Maria Semple

I've been hearing about this book for quite some time now. I didn't know what to expect and still don't really know how I feel about it. I'm giving it an overall three star rating it, because while I enjoyed and even laughed out loud a few times I'm left feeling unsure about the ending.

Meet Bernadette, wife, mother, and known by everyone in her community. She's known but she isn't liked. A once astounding architect, Bernadette is know scared to talk to people, a disaster to the parent's of her 15 year old daughter (Bee's) classmates. She makes a promise to Bee that when see aces her report card she can get whatever she wants. A trip to Antarctica is soon in the works but then Bernadette disappears. Its up to Bee to find out what happened to her mother.

Told in notes, emails, and correspondences we learn all about Bee's family, especially Bernadette. It takes most of the story for Bernadette to go missing. You get a feeling about what the parents are like, the attitude of the husband, and how loved Bee is.

I enjoyed this book for the most part but really felt like we were just kind of left hanging. The ending didn't really impress me, I suppose I just wanted more, especially since it takes that long for Bernadette to go missing.

Something I'll recommend and I know people will keep reading, but not my favorite. I really loved reading about Bee but didn't feel as invested with the rest of the characters. Glad I finally got around to finding out if the hype of this book was worth it or not.

Audio Book: My favorite part of this book was probably Bee's POV and voice. She was cute, funny, and dramatic. The reader did everything to show that.