booksandthings

YA Fanatic

Librarian who loves everything about books. Generally read Young Adult.

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikery

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry - Gabrielle Zevin

This is largely advertised as a great read for people who are book lovers. Advertised as someone who loves everything about books and publishing. I wanted more on that storyline. I'm having a hard time finding a book that is just that.

Meet A.J Fikery, widow to a book store owner. Ever since his wife died he has taken over the local book store. He hates most books, fantasy, young adult, and especially vampires. When a stranger leaves a young baby in his book store he decides to adopt and his views and maybe even life is forever changed and possibly saved.

This is enjoyable, its a fun and a quick read. I did love all the parts about books, the conversations about The Book Thief, hosting author events, publishing and buying new books, etc. I didn't so much care for the adoption story and the story of his new found romance.

Things seemed all over the place, I didn't get a clear message throughout the story. One moment we're discussing his bookstore the next its about a new daughter, and even thirty pages later its about cancer. While I get that this is based on someone's life I'd much rather this have been more focused on his daily bookstore life because I did love those parts.

Audio Book: This is a male reading this story, which makes sense because the main character is a male, I sometimes find it strange when a male is reading a female voice (unless they can perfectly pull off the part). Listening to this book on audio didn't make much of a difference for me. I'm certainly finding that I enjoy woman readers much more.