booksandthings

YA Fanatic

Librarian who loves everything about books. Generally read Young Adult.

Scarlet Book Review

Scarlet - Marissa Meyer

*Spoilers for Book One*

Marissa Meyer is very clever in twisting classic fairy tales with Dystopian like settings. And for that, I love this book. I definitely didn't like it as much as the first, but I loved the whole red riding hood twist and just how well she made it fit as much as book one with Cinderella

Scarlet has known of the events of the ball and what happened with Cinder and the Queen. She's miles away and trying to find her missing and maybe kidnapped grandmother. Meanwhile Cinder is kidnapped and held by the Queen while Kai try's to make peace and save his world.

The main issue I had with this book, while its well written and quite clever, I felt that it had too many characters. As soon as I became invested with one it would switch right to the next and I found myself skimming some chapters because of that. Scarlet and Wolfs storyline was interesting enough but I would have much rather read about Cinder because it felt somewhat rushed when things did fall together in the end. It will be extremely interesting to see how the entire series end. I am still looking forward to finishing another series!