booksandthings

YA Fanatic

Librarian who loves everything about books. Generally read Young Adult.

We Were Liars Book Review

We Were Liars - E. Lockhart

Hype about this book has been going on for a while now. I was really very excited to finally read it. And starting it I knew nothing about it; nothing about the plot, the characters..nothing. So I'm not going to give an overall plot verse of this book because I think its best to start this book knowing just that, nothing.

I'm giving this three stars for a few reasons. It didn't live up to the hype for me. I was expecting to be "wow'ed" and I certainly wasn't. But its still a good book with a unique, clever, and rather hefty plot line. Many of you will most likely enjoy that.

The main thing that bothered me and the big reason I'm giving it three stars? The writing. It frustrated me so much. The choppy and incomplete sentences, the very few character descriptions. It really made it feel bland.

I do think its a book YA fans should check out. If you can get past the writing style you might find yourself really enjoying this one. After all, there has to be some reason people are talking about it, right?